SPECIAL EDITION: BUSH PRESS CONFERENCE REACTION
I did watch the majority of Bush's conference...must say, quite the timing he has.
In only his 4th prime-time address, he set out to solidify and identify his positions on Social Security, the budget and energy needs, among other things. Here are some interesting things I took away from it:
On Social Security: So hard to tell what's true and what's not, especially from the "doom and gloom" year . It won't be "bankrupt", but will actually pay out 72% of what it currently does. (see my first blog post for my short version stance on S.S.) Private funds aren't the answer...I sure wouldn't want my retirement relying on the stock market, or letting anyone in Washington decide where my investment would go. Yes, there is a problem. I have a solution that might ruffle a few feathers:
RAISE THE AMOUNT PEOPLE ARE GIVING TO IT!!!
Much like everyone is so shocked that the country is trillions in debt (and can't figure out that the extra 1-2K in their tax returns weren't a gift) because the primary funding for our government (taxes) were cut, there's been no mention of raising what people put into it (read: political suicide). I'd be perfectly willing to give an additional 40 dollars a month if it guaranteed I would be getting 100% of my Social Security benefit.
In any case, tonight didn't help his cause, and both sides are afraid of making a blunder of an issue that would cause their respective party to go into a 20 year tailspin at the polls.
Now, onto the foreshadowed budget.
Look, it's simple math really...
Cutting taxes+less revenue+higher expenditures=deficit
What, like the new nickel and gold coin are going to pay for Iraq and Afghanistan?LOL Bush gained in the short term (as did our pocketbooks) with the tax changes, but our children will bear the brunt of higher taxes and deficits down the road.
Until the War on Terror stops (if it ever will), our budget will be in the red, no doubt.
Finally, and the part I found the most hilarious:
Bush talking about an Energy bill is about as funny as saying Michael Jackson is a fit father. HILARIOUS! Republicans and Democrats have Big Oil in their back pocket, and it'll be a cold day you-kn0w-where before anything major happens on this front.
200 years from now, we better have a real Starship Enterprise, or it'll be Schwinn bikes all around and wars fought with sticks and stones...LOL
Well, gotta go watch Stephanie bite the dust on Survivor:Palau. Thank you Mr. President for ending your speech so I can watch!ROFL
Good night now!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home